Wednesday, April 8, 2009

12 months: It's a Big World and I'm Going to Run Around it



At twelve months Truman is a 25 pounds on-the-go toddler. It's hard to believe that a year ago I was still waiting for him to come out and say hello. Or, "Hi, I'm new here," to be more exact.




There is so much accomplishment that comes with this birthday for Truman, but also for Joe and I. He has grown from a little, nearly-helpless being into a pint-sized boy who feeds himself, uses the potty, signs for milk and calls my name when he's looking for me. He sings along to music in his own little language, much of which I am convinced is real words pronounced strangely because he hasn't yet mastered the art of uttering them. He says mom, dad, poop, pee and boo often and he has said peak-a-boo, book and hi a few times.





We watched him journey from rolling over at two-and-a-half months to walking at 5 days before ten. Now he runs all over our lawn in his little red shoes bearing the four slow-to-arrive teeth he has.





At a year he loves music, looking at books himself but not reading them, and anything that involves stacking things or placing lids on things. He will sit for 5-15 minutes if concentrating on a task or studying if something will fit inside or stick to something else. As a result, we call him a little scientist or engineer.





Of course with his cool red kicks and harmonica (our birthday gift to him) he looks a lot like a little rocker, too.











I am an entirely different person than I was a year ago. I am calmer, happier and more confident, even if I'm running all over the place chasing a toddler and telling him that crayons are not food for the 100th time. Parenthood is as amazing as everyone said it was going to be and I can't wait for the adventures yet to come. He's a kid now and we're ready to explore the world together.

Rest assured it will be a rock'n, well photographed adventure.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hooray! Happy Birthday Truman! It's hard to believe it has been one year already!

Heather W said...

Sorry we weren't able to make it to the party. I loved this blog entry, so heartfelt. Your reflecting makes me eager to be able to experience similar things.