Thursday, June 23, 2011

Breastfeeding is normal: Why I won't stop doing "that" in public



Well, it finally happened.

After over three years of continuous lactation I was confronted about nursing in public.

And you would think that three years of La Leche League, nursing in public, knowledge of laws and a general feeling of well being about breastfeeding would have left me lioness-like, ready to defend my child's right to eat without a blanket over his head.

We were watching my older son take his first swim lesson, beaming as he carefully listened and followed direction, giggling a bit as he tried to figure out the more difficult elements of swimming.

Keen needed to nurse, so I lifted my breast quickly out of the top of my shirt as I almost always do and popped him on. I cuddled his arm up near his face as he usually does anyway to offer a bit more cover.

When the lesson was over we were told that he was actually in the wrong class and I stood up with Keen attached to talk to the lady with a clipboard to make sure we got in the right class.

Then she asked me if I could please use a blanket to cover up while I "did that" or suggested I could use the locker room (where there are no seats but toilets and benches in the shower room that are usually wet).

I have supported so many women when they have talked about this happening to them and I thought it wouldn't bother me. But, honestly, when she said it my stomach sank. I got the feeling you get when you are pulled over by a cop and have no idea why. I was in trouble for doing something I knew wasn't wrong.

I also felt like my actions would affect the way my older son would be treated while taking his swimming lessons and was kind of in shock. What could I say?

I knew what I should say but I just wanted to recoil.

I looked at Joe and he recognized my slip into shyness.

He stood up for me.

He told her there were laws protecting our rights.

She looked surprised and almost relieved. She said she didn't have a problem with it, but sometimes people complain, then hinted that those parents don't like their kids seeing women breastfeed.

Then they complain to the lifeguards and it causes them problems.

We said we would print out the law and bring it in and we will.

What I think is particularly interesting about this encounter is the shaming language that was used. Despite her stated comfort with breastfeeding, she called the act "that" and then sought to protect, not the rights of the child who was doing an act she was comfortable with, but the rights of others who were probably swimming showing as much as or more skin than me.

I like to find consensus -- solutions that work for peace between those with different views -- but really is it ever okay for someone to tell me I can't feed my son in public because it makes them uncomfortable? Should I have to change how I act to help them find comfort or should they change their view as the law suggests?

I understand that everyone has different comfort levels with nudity and that many cultures prize modesty. But there is nothing immodest about breastfeeding.

I may wear a shirt with a tank top under it next time, which will allow for more coverage. But I hardly think the top of my breast is what was offensive. After all, we were at a pool where almost all women were wearing clothing that showed part of their breasts. This makes me feel that anyone uncomfortable with me breastfeeding at that moment in that setting was not, despite what they might say, upset by seeing a breast (breasts were everywhere). They were upset by seeing BREASTS FEEDING and that is not okay.

7 comments:

Roxanne Packard said...

You are so right! Good thing you are so willing to stand up for your rights! I am glad to hear that you had someone there to help you overcome your sudden shyness. Makes me wonder if anyone would have said anything had you been on a nude beach...

Victoria Lee Rule - McSpadden said...

Wow, I am sorry that someone would say this to you. I can only imagine how that must have felt to you, tears filled my eyes when I read this. We shouldn't have to make amends for someone's own discomfort, or insecurities. It sounded like she had a problem, and she used other people to hide her own views. I am sorry that this happened to you, but I am glad that you had a wonderful person to help you. Don't ever hide from what you believe in because of people though, they are always going to have an opinion. And it is usually not the right one for "you"

Heather W said...

I am proud of you and Joe, and how you both reacted to this situation. Stay strong! And I hope you don't have to deal with anything like that again.

Concrete Girl said...

I stumbled upon this blog after reading someone else's. I personally did not have success nursing my son, so he was formula fed from very early and I never had to experience what you went through. Even though I attempted breastfeeding, I was never totally dedicated to it and I've always been on the fence about how I feel with women "doing that" in public. I do not think it was appropriate for someone to treat you that way, but when I thought about my son being in that swim class (obviously depending upon the age), I may not be comfortable with his seeing that level of nudity. HOWEVER, you made such a good point that made me re-think my opinion. If you're at a pool, where many women are swimming or sunbathing, etc, I KNOW there are people dressed... well, not covered, for lack of better terms. And you're absolutely right. If they're okay showing cleavage then it's hypocritical for them to scorn you for breastfeeding your child. It's also wrong if they have the problem with breastfeeding as opposed to seeing (or their children) seeing breasts. Good post.

Jill of All Trades said...

I was raised in America but also was raised by a mother who was VERY active in the breastfeeding advocacy world-you might even know her. Now being back in Africa I'm so amused by how little attention is given to a woman's breast as something that should be seen as a sexual object. A woman feeding her son is nurturing NOT sexual. In fact growing up between the two worlds I was always shocked by my mother being able to talk to her brother without a top on, but would never EVER let him see her thighs. I like living in place where my breasts are treated for what they are-NOT as a point in consumer marketing, but as useful tool for nurturing. But I also regret not being able to where shorts anytime I feel like it. In the end I think all of these association and rules have gotten us pretty mixed up. My body is sacred, no matter what I'm wearing, and should be seen as such.

Anonymous said...

This topic has always fascinated me. Thank you for writing an article that has great content and is well written. Well I am inspired by your writing style. colorado retirement community

Unknown said...

i like your blog

also visit my blog
punjabian5.blogspot.com