Thursday, May 5, 2011

EC Files: 7 weeks

Elimination Communication is an ancient practice of attending to a baby by listening to their elimination cues and helping them to pee or poop outside of diapers. EC Files is documentation of this journey with my second son. Find them all here. Learn more about Elimination Communication here.



Today Keen held his pee for 4.5 hours while we were out and through a nap at home. While I remember Truman gaining a lot of bladder control early with EC, it's still surprising. I fully expected a wet diaper, but hurried him to the potty when I realized he hadn't gone.

Last week he out grew the bucket we were using and I bought him his first little potty. It's pepto-bismal pink because my choices were that or a very drab tan. It's like a baby bjorn little potty but a strange knock-off found at Kmart. The baby bjorn little potty was nowhere to be found and I didn't want another big one or the two-piece one.

I opted for simple.

Truman is still very attached to his baby bjorn big potty but I figure that by the time Keen outgrows this one his brother will likely relent.

Around 6 weeks he started transitioning from pooping every time he peed to pooping multiple times a day coinciding with me realizing that broccoli was not his friend.

He still cues by kicking and sounds and the poop face and arm movements still accompany poops.

He still sleeps diaperless on prefolds, snuggled next to me.

Today I am finding that he is able to pee without waking fully, which is a skill that will helps us nighttime EC and during naps.

Truman did well being taken to the potty at night for a long time, though now we are having nighttime misses that I think are more related to a physiological change in him at 3 than other things.

The change in our family has caused him a few regressions and I think this is one of them.

Perhaps he is learning to love another as we are and that growth in love is distracting him from the potty in the way crawling, walking or teething did when he was young.

Emotional growth can be just as affecting to children as physical even if it is harder for us to see.

I am loving prefolds and covers and am not sure I will want to go back to the Bum Genius diapers we have.

Somehow when he is in a diaper we are both more aware and able to communicate so I keep him in a diaper a lot. I like fitteds with no covers, but we only have a few of those and it is not that hard to put a cover on a prefold.

We have had success out as we did with Truman but the noises of the bathroom, especially flushing, scare him.

I sing to him to sooth him. At first Death Cab for Cutie's Bixby Canyon Bridge was a cue for pooping, now I sing that or this lovely song, often replacing negrito with other phrases that fit to keep it fresh and because I always feel weird calling my very light-skinned child negrito.

These songs are also our lullabies and he does not seem to eliminate while being rocked to sleep. I think he knows they are soothing songs.

He is very soothed by the sound of our voices singing.

He likes to eliminate in the sink because he can look in the mirror. We study each others faces and smile at one another. He is very aware of us and connected.

No comments: